California Lutheran University
Position Category: Staff (Non-Exempt)
Location: Thousand Oaks
University Background: The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
Basic Function: Under the direction of the Facilities Trades Manager, the HVAC Technician is responsible for preventative maintenance, repairing, and replacing HVAC and boiler systems necessary for the operation of heating and air conditioning throughout campus to keep all buildings and equipment in good operating condition. The position performs a variety of semi-skilled, skilled and technical duties and utilizes appropriate tools and equipment for the installation, maintenance, and repair of University HVAC equipment.
- Repair, replace, maintain or install pneumatic, hydraulic or electronic control systems and devices on HVAC systems. Adjust and regulate air and water flow in HVAC systems to maintain efficiency and performance including closed loop systems. Repair and maintain air conditioning and refrigeration systems and components.
- Maintain a continuous activity schedule for all buildings in order to coordinate and program the HVAC system for efficient usage. Pursue an aggressive program to reduce energy costs. Perform preventative maintenance on HVAC equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on HVAC equipment. Maintain pressure vessels such as hot water boilers, steam boilers and gas fired water heaters.
- Oversee contractors to ensure productivity, inspect assigned work sites before work begins and at completion.
- Ensure that energy management operations are supportive of CLU goals. Provide optimum occupant comfort within university established guidelines, for optimum energy efficiency. Proactively responds to potential equipment issues to prevent unplanned interruptions of customer’s business. Communicates with university constituents to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Ensure that assigned Maintenance Work Orders are completed as scheduled.
- Diagnoses and repairs complex control system malfunctions requiring extensive knowledge of a variety of electronic or digital controls systems and ability to test and write modifications in multiple languages of systems software.
- Supervise HVAC Assistant in the performance of his duties.
- Ensure that safe work habits and good engineering practices are observed at all times.
- Maintain inventory and accountability for tools, parts, test equipment and supplies used in the repair of controls equipment.
- Meet and communicate regularly with immediate supervisor and other HVAC Technician on task, material and equipment related concerns. Communicate effectively and proactively with CLU occupants.
- Review, recommend and purchase maintenance supplies and equipment based on price, quality and energy efficiency. Communicate with equipment suppliers and contractors in order to receive proposals for equipment upgrades and retrofits.
- Maintain an up-to-date library of control prints, catalogues, and technical material related to HVAC control systems.
- Participate in rotation for after-hours on-call responsibilities. Perform after-hours plumbing, electrical, and roofing calls. Respond to after HVAC calls when not on call.
- Manages assigned work to meet professional and efficient execution of time and customer satisfaction. Reports problems or changes to management immediately. Interfaces with service contractors on projects to coordinate activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Principles, methods, materials, tools and equipment used to repair, replace, maintain and install HVAC and boiler systems.
- Energy Management System programs and software.
- Familiarity with local, state and federal electrical and mechanical codes.
- Technical aspects of field and specialty.
- Health and safety regulations.
- Record keeping.
- Training, supervision and evaluation techniques.
- Oral and written communication skills
- University policies and procedures.
- Departmental operations, procedures, specific rules and precedents.
- Excellent customer service protocol.
- Principles of training and providing work direction.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Think analytically and independently.
- Troubleshoot, maintain, modify, and repair heating ventilation systems, air conditioning and refrigeration systems and equipment including Freon systems, electric fans, motors, pump motors, electrical controls and associated safety, overcurrent and other equipment protection devices.
- Write, debug, code, analyze and enhance EMS computer programs.
- Perform heavy physical labor.
- Read a tape measure, interpret blueprints and schematics, calculate needed materials for individuals for individual projects; perform mathematical computations (i.e., measuring angels, adding and subtracting fractions, etc.)
- Operate and program the university Siemens, Carrier and ALC Energy Management Systems (EMS).
- Operate and care for power and hand tools.
- Repair, engineer and install gas piping to meet or exceed industry standards.
- Assign and delegate labor duties
- Plan, coordinate, supervise, assign and participate in related activities.
- Train and provide work direction to others.
- Collect and deliver materials needed for projects.
- Determine appropriate action within defined guidelines.
- Multi-task and process a variety of tasks and demands.
- Organize, coordinate, and oversee activities.
- Maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with a diverse population.
- Follow verbal and written instructions.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work independently with minimal direction.
- High School diploma or equivalent and five years of experience in maintenance, installation and repair of HVAC equipment and components
- Experience working with Energy Management Experience working with Siemens, Carrier, and ALC energy management systems.
- Experience working in a higher education facilities setting.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
- Valid California Driver’s License.
- U.S. Environment Protection Agency high and low pressure refrigerant certification.
- May be required to come into work on holidays and in emergency situations (i.e., will be subject to “on-call” responsibilities).
Working Environment: Indoor and outdoor work environment; work in all weather and temperature conditions; work in confined spaces; occasional exposure to fumes, chemicals, dust and odors; subject to driving a vehicle to conduct work.
Posting Number: Staff002892020
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date: 06/01/2021
Open Date: 04/23/2021
Close Date: 5/16/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Application Procedure/Special Instructions:
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2259591
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program, activity or facility of the University on the basis of these factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s policies, procedures, and processes.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.